Networked Blogs

Saturday, July 3, 2010

My First Fifteen Minutes

Following the saying that "You can do anything in fifteen minutes", I have set my timer and decided to stop procrastinating and do some writing on a regular basis.  Why didn't I think of this before?

The website at http://www.fifteenminutesoffiction.com/ has inspired me to do this.  I wrote there yesterday and had a great time - and it was fiction.  Do you have any idea how much I dread writing fiction?  But, I did it and I did it without a plan.  I just started writing and came up with this little snippet of a story based on a famous painting.  (Search "famous painting" there and you should find it.)  So, I extend a hearty thanks to Douglas, it's creator and administrator for my inspiration.

So, what does one do when one writes for fifteen minutes?  Well, at Douglas' site, I was given a suggested topic.  I suppose each day I will need to have a topic of interest and right now I have no idea what those topics should be.  Current events, maybe?  Ah, but I get tired of hearing despressing, negative news stories.  Well, then, perhaps I should write about encouraging, uplifting tales and events.  But, will those be hard to discover?  I mean, with all the negativity that surrounds our world, how hard will positive, encouraging words be to find?

Whenever I need encouragment, I turn to my Bible and find some there.  So, don't be surprised if I reference my Bible often when giving words of encouragement.

Other times when I need encouragement, I look at photos of my family and friends.  The photos remind me of happy times or how blessed I am to have such wonderful people share DNA with me.

I find encouragment in the early mornings - even though I am NOT a morning person.  Sometimes in the early morning (depending upon the weather) I'll either go sit on my front porch or back deck with my cup of hot, black coffee and listen to the morning birdsongs.  I can smell the scents from the mimosa tree and the petunias in the hanging pots.  The sounds, smells and bright sunshine are so energizing in the early day.  It makes me grateful for the little things that God blesses us with each and every day.

My time is coming to an end.  I think the next fifteen minutes will be spent folding laundry and putting it away.  What can you do in fifteen minutes?  Is there some little joy or encouragement you can find?  If so, why not spend fifteen minutes just to sit and enjoy it.

Well, there's the timer!  Guess I'll go fold laundry.  Have a great day and be sure to follow me every day for my fifteen minutes of writing.

1 comment:

  1. You have a way with words. I am reading a book by Tracie Peterson right now, and you have a similar upbeat way of writing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of my blog. I'd love to hear your comments and feedback.